Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Study, Study, study...

that's what I've been up to, studying! After the first weekend attending the Life, Health and Annuities course, I truly felt like it was hopeless. I finished the course Sunday, and I can say in good conscience, i feel pretty good about it! I took the final exam in the book today for 'practice', and on the Life Insurance portion I got an 88 percent! I think if I hadn't been getting up and down, answering to whining, tattling children I think I could have possibly gotten a 100 percent! Our neighbor child spent the night last night, after spending the afternoon with my kids, and she's been here all day today, up until about 20 minutes ago! They finally left and went to her house! Yay! Back to the studying, I was originally worried about agreeing to possibly testing on Friday of this week for the state license exam, fearing there would be no way I'd be prepared. After spending the last two days attached to the book, I think I'll be properly prepared. In fact, I'm feeling like I don't really want to have to wait beyond Friday, because I don't want to spend yet another weekend glued to this book! Enough already! I get it! Just please don't ask me too much about the dreaded annuity subject! LOL!

Yesterday morning, I made a panicked call to the dentists office, after breaking off the back of one of my upper molars this weekend. They answer their phones at 8:30. I finally got through at 8:45. She said, if you can be here at 9am, we can see you. Umm, you're on Blanding at Kingsley, and I'm in Green Cove... She said, get here between 9 and 9:15 and we'll see you. Okay! I called Jenny and asked her if she'd be home, but she had to go back to her dentist to get her permanent crown on, so not available. As an aside, her crown didn't fit, and she' returning on July 8th, the same day I go back for my permanent crown. I explained no job, no insurance, and they offered a discount plan, which really did save me quite a bit, but oh my, it's still so horribly expensive to get a crown! John and I had a bet that a crown would cost about a thousand dollars, and I said no way! He won the bet! The other option was having it pulled, and John told me go ahead and get the crown. Having it pulled would just mess up my bite, and he didn't want me to have to live with a 'gappy smile", knowing that it would bother me! I was hesitant to return to this dentist office, because the last crown, which was my first experience didn't go so well. I found the entire procedure that time to be miserable, and haven't been happy with it since. This time, was completely opposite! I didn't feel much. This new dentist in the office is young, probably around my age, female, and on the money! I didn't even feel the injection! That's saying something. I finally half way through the procedure was able to relax, and let the muscle spasm settle down in my back! I'll go back in July to get the permanent crown! On the positive side, assuming I pass my state exam, I'll be self-employed, and I can claim 100% of my medical and dental expenses on my taxes. (I also realized I can't refer to it as "tax return" since it's all about paying in taxes when one is self employed!)

After my dentist appointment yesterday, I went to pick the kids up at my mother in law's house. I called her when Jenny wasn't available, and she said she'd meet me at the dentist office. Thank you, Judy! After the kids ate lunch, she made them a banana split, and served them in glass banana shaped dishes. It came about later that these dishes belonged to her father's aunt. Well, my kids being who they are, kept pushing each other, and tipping chairs. I heard a thud and a grunt, and got up to find Daniel on the floor, chair tipped over. It took a second, then I saw the broken glass, and shouted "Don't move!" I managed to pick up the glass and ice cream, and Judy grabbed Daniel. She started cleaning him up, thinking he had chocolate syrup on him, only to find some of it was blood! When the dish shattered, it cut a piece out of the side of his leg. It was one of those nasty cuts, that you question, should we go to the emergency room? The glass took out a piece of the top flesh, and exposed a good piece. It didn't bleed heavily, it just took a while to stop. We knew stitches weren't possible because there was nothing to pull together on the side of his calf. I just kept changing band-aids yesterday, and told them the pool was off limits yesterday, and for a few days, just for good measure. Of course, I didn't think about sidewalk chalk, and I can tell you he's covered in it this afternoon. He's not looking forward to the peroxide treatment again, but we've explained to him, it's a necessary evil!

This evening, I'll study up again on the Health side of insurance, and legal contracts concerning health and life insurance. Such fun! Tomorrow some time, I should find out when I'll be scheduled to take the pending exam!


Jenny said...

Sorry I could not help out yesterday.. Funny we both had crowns on the same day and now our next appt is on the same day. We are royalty ;)

Sorry about Daniels leg that sounds painful.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

It sounds as though your street is full of royalty with all the crowns being sported!

So sad to hear about the chair tipping, dish shattering, leg carving accident Daniel had...Perhaps plastic dishes are in order....

Hugs and best wishes on your exam!