Tuesday, January 13, 2009

When it rains, it pours...

Yes, pun completely intended! It has been raining since some time yesterday. I woke up this morning to rain steadily coming down on the awning outside my bedroom window, and here it is nearly 1pm, and it's still drizzling! The poor dog, everytime I move towards the living room from my office she thinks I'm headed towards her leash, and follows me out with excitement, only to be let down. Hopefully tomorrow the rain will end, and it won't be too cold to go for a walk! But, this morning Hanna was happy to wear her raincoat to school, and Daniel got to carry his spiderman umbrella into his school. I wish little things like that were as exciting to me! When I spoke to John earlier today, he asked if this rain was going to stop anytime soon, and I could tell he was worried about the weather conditions for this coming weekend. As cold as it's supposed to get, it would be snowing if this rain didn't stop! He also said, as cold as it is expected to be, there was no way he was going to get in a canoe and sit on the water Sunday! We'll see about that!

After I dropped Daniel off at his school, I got back into my truck, and a light was illuminated on the dashboard that I've never seen before, and wasn't quite sure what it meant! Out of paranoia while driving home, I was certain it was running "rough", but it was difficult to hear because of the rain hitting the windshield. I kept hoping I wasn't messing anything up by continuing to drive it home. I'm way overdue on the oil change, so I was afraid my lapse in judgement may be causing damange. When I did arrive home, the first thing I did was consult my owner's manual. This new light that I've never seen before is a tire pressure light. Kind of what I suspected, but had no clue really. I walked around the truck, and didn't notice a flat tire, so I called John and told him. He said, probably it's just a change in pressure, maybe even due to the weather change. Really? Okay, if you say so. He said, he was sure I didn't want to mess around at a gas station in the rain trying to put air in the tires, and he was right! I reminded him that if it were flat when it was time to pick up the kids, he'd be hearing from me, and I'd expect him to fix it! Even go pick up Daniel in his work truck! I've been considering all morning whether or not to run it up to Wal-Mart and let them change the oil and fix the tire pressure. However, the idea of going to Wal-Mart yet again, when I'd been there twice yesterday is really more than I feel like dealing with today, so I'll plan on doing it tomorrow morning.

The last few evenings, last night especially, Hanna has been scratching several new bug bites. It appears that the cat has been sleeping on her bed, and has left some fleas behind. It never fails, if we are beginning to get a flea problem in the house, she is the first one to suffer; and suffer she does. I think if there were a bug within 5 miles, it would seek that child out! I've washed everything on her bed, so if she's still getting bites, it's got to be from the carpet or furniture. No one else has bites. I called Fred the bug man this morning, and he will be coming out Friday afternoon. Of course, this means we have to leave the house for two to four hours while the termination occurs! This also means I have got to get the mound of clothes cleaned up in my bedroom before Friday! Oh yeah! How I love cleaning up laundry piles! That's the pile that every time someone is coming over, I throw it in there. It's my bedroom, it's behind closed doors! Or, if I've done laundry, I've "neatly" folded it, and placed it in that pile. Seems the day of reckoning has finally come for that pile of clothes! It's bad enough Fred knows I have bugs, I don't want him to think I'm a slob too! I told him about the ants, and he said now we have a contradiction. When "you" spray, it kills everybody off, so the queen ant thinks they're under attack and produces more scouts. For about a week, he said, our ants will disappear, but then they'll be back with a vengeance. His recommendation is that he sprays for the fleas, since it's the biggest concern, and it will last for 9 months, then, he'll come back in two weeks and bait for ants. He's the man with the plan... so, I'm there.

Also this morning, I got a call from our insurance agent. He's an independent agent that represents among many, American General, and wants to come by and discuss where we stand now with that company. Considering John's retirement annuity and all our life insurance policies are currently held by AG, I figured we really need to talk to him. He'll be coming by next week to discuss our options. Both Tim and I are not really looking forward to sitting down with John and discussing where our money has been going for years, and where it doesn't seem to be in our future! John is never happy with Tim when he tells him we're losing money! At least my 401K with my employer seems to be 'safe' for the time being, as I have it in a money market account with Charles Schwab. It's not a huge money maker, but it's a steady grower, and seems to be stable.

Now I just have to figure out what in the world I'm going to make for dinner tonight!

3 comments:

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne,

See? I have been waiting for your posting!

This weather is what is making me grumpy, I just know it! Without sunshine, I am shot, totally shot. Sounds like you and your truck feel the same way......Don't you hate those little light up symbols on the dashboard, especially the one about low fuel?????

I could not help but chuckle about the laundry pile behind closed (clothesed) doors but have to dealt with because "behold, the bug man cometh". Sorry that you had to have Hanna discover them, however!

It sure likes a rotten weekend for camping, or at least for canoing. I wouldn't do it but I consider going to eat at Woodys to be camping......

No, stay away from Wal-Mart for a day or two, you never know who or what you will run into there!

Smiling hugs,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

Hi Kim!
I love "feedback" on my blogs! The "low fuel" one gets me into trouble! It's really annoying on the truck, because it also puts the words into the compass/temperature thingy, and I like to know the temp outside. John gets so mad at me when he gets into the truck and it's near empty. He says, one of these days, you're gonna run out of gas!

I'm really really really trying to stay optimistic on this weekend's trip. O'Leno just looks beautiful, and I want us to enjoy it without freezing. John said, if it's too cold, we're coming home, even if it is a two hour drive!

As for Wal-Mart, ugh! Not only the trip, but "unisex" customers too! Sheesh! To think, the comments coming from the boy who dressed up like a fairy on Sunday afternoon! LOLOL!!!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Oh my, that last sentence of yours made me throw my head back and laugh.....Daniel is the pot calling the kettle black! Very amusing!

Hugs,

Kim