Thursday, March 26, 2009

Make a Joyful Noise unto the Lord!!!

Oh, I just gotta say it! I went over to Victory (our "sister" church at the beach) and played with the choir. The music director over there asked me MONTHS ago, if I would like to play my viola with them sometime, and I finally committed to doing it. I'm so glad I did! I went over there this evening during their choir practice time, and enjoyed it so much! Rachel and I "sealed the deal" for this coming Sunday probably a month and a half ago! Unfortunately, the Pastor at "our" church changed things around and the choir is going to sing this weekend. I'm sorry I'll miss this, but I did make a commitment to Rachel and Victory! I have been put under scrutiny by some, being told that our church needs the "numbers" by our core members, etc, and it's wrong to go over there. Frankly, I feel that it is serving the Lord in the manner I do best! Playing Music! What beautiful music tonight! Rachel asked me if I could stay for the entire choir practice, so I did. Oh how I enjoy being with them over there! Rachel is such a wonderful musician who knows so much about the Lutheran Church. She should! I believe her father is a pastor, and she went to Lutheran Prep School AND I think Martin Luther College. She has a degree in Parish Music! Wow! I'm just so impressed with her, and I so wish I could play with her all the time. But.. my loyalties lie with my own church, and that's where I must stay... but I can come over an play sometimes, can't I??

They went over the songs they've been working on for the upcoming Lent & Easter holidays, as well as a few others that are good "anytime stand-byes". I sang with Anne, the Pastor's wife, and another lady, Bonnie (my new friend), who are both altos.

There is nothing more edifying for me, than making music unto the Lord! The church's acoustics helps a lot too, and the Baby Grande piano, and the musicians. I got there early and got to watch their hand bell practice. I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to play hand bells! Anyway, my point was, I felt so alive when I left there! The music we played for God was so beautiful, and so moving. I had to laugh; during one of the pieces, Bonnie said she enjoyed it so much, it made her want to stand up and sway! To those that aren't Lutherans you're probably wondering what the big deal is. Why is that funny?? Lutherans are right next to catholics when it comes to rigidity in church. Swaying? Oh my, that would be like clapping or raising your hands in there air! The roof might collapse! Haha! I'm kind of kidding! If you're a WELS, you know what I mean!

I think I'm rambling! It's getting very late, and I still need to go take a shower before I go to bed. I just wanted to say, I had such a great time playing with them this evening, playing music for my Lord and Savior! I'm playing Sunday pre & post service, and during the service on one choir hymn.

4 comments:

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

Good for you, I am glad you had a good time.

You can't sway in church, really?

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne,

Okay, now you are really ticking me off! I wanna go too! Since it is favorite hymn Sunday this week, and some of my choices are being sung, I will stay at G. S. I am incredibly glad you got to play with Rachel and sing with the gang. Bonnie is awesome, and she is immediately your best friend, isn't that true? She loves Justin, and is such a warm, loving lady.

What hymns or anthems are you accompanying? I hope you are not overly pressured either way regarding your occasional playing of music....I know how you feel about it.

Musical hugs,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

I guess I should clarify for you, Jenny! We can sway, it's just not typical. I don't believe, if anyone were to put their hands up in the air they'd be banished, but people would look at them funny. As much as you enjoy the contemporary service at First Baptist, you'd probably think we were soooo boring! The Lutheran church is all about heritage. Deep heritage!

Kim, we're playing Cross of Jesus. It's a beautiful piece. I'll send you the back page.

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

Yea, we put our hands up and clap and sway.. Baptist like to get down:)ahaha.. But I was raised Methodist and it was more tame and traditional, but still laid back.